Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jones Winter Olympics 2008

The day after my family Christmas we piled into the car bright and early to get over to Utah to celebrate Christmas #2 with Justin's side of the family. Our timely start turned into quite the adventure as we--and when I say we I really mean JUSTIN--ran out of gas about a mile from Cedar City. A nice couple picked Justin up while Gabby and I waited in a freezing car. He returned with some gas and some profuse apologies, but the car decided not to start. So we sat in the same freezing car for another 45 minutes waiting for AAA to come give us a jump. Twelve--yes 12 hours later we arrived at our destination.

Once in Salt Lake though, we wasted no time. Justin's family rolled out the red carpet for us. We first hit the Nutcracker, complete with a Sugar Plum Fairy backstage party after the ballet ended. The event sealed the deal for Gabby and she now wants to be a prima ballerina when she grows up.




Day 2 of our Jones Winter Olympics included a morning of sledding and an afternoon of ice skating with a dose of hot chocolate and a nice nap!















Did we stop there you ask? NO--we decided to go skiing/snowboarding (Me on skis and Justin on a board). Gabby hit ski school and had a ball with "Fancy Nancy," her instructor. I don't think Justin could have been more proud of his little snow bunnies.




I have to say, looking back at December, we really packed everything possible into one month. I'm not sure if I would do it that way again, but we did have a wonderful time. Come on--snorkeling AND skiing in the space of a couple weeks--Joie de vivre!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Glad the holidays were great. It was great to see you even just for breakfast.

Jenny Slingerland said...

Oh boy, what an adventure! My worst fear was breaking down on the way to Utah in the 10ยบ freezing cold weather! Fortunately for me and UNfortunately for you, you lived through my worst nightmare! I owe you!

emcghee said...

OH MY GOSH Megan! I can't believe you guys ran out of gas! (I mean Justin) I felt so bad for you just reading the blog because that is NOT fun! I HATE cold. I really do, I'm miserable when I'm cold. anyways, sounds like the rest of your trip was great! Gabby looks great on skis.

Marci Morgan said...

I love your blog. You are such a good writer! It sounds just like how you talk. I love it! I am sooo glad that you were ok after that long ordeal in the cold. Never again, will your husband leave without a full tank right?

Carrie Anne said...

Running out of gas is my worst nightmare...especially along that stretch of I-15. Sounds like you guys survived it well :) Gabby looks like a superstar on those little skis!