Friday, March 27, 2009

I'm Bringing (Sexy) Dinner Back


Sorry for the lame attempt at using a JT song for my post, but I just watched him on Oprah today and he is just so yummy!


Last night was our Church's Relief Society Birthday Party dinner. A shout out to miss Angie and her team--it was a fabulous event! We had a guest speaker, the talented miss Erin Buck, who talked about making family dinners a priority.


Among other great nuggets, Erin cited studies from Columbia University that found children who have family dinner consistently (5 nights a week) are less likely to engage in drug use and promiscuous activity--fascinating stuff!

The stars must all be aligned on this family dinner thing because I was also reading Design Mom today and she had a guest blogger discussing family meal time. She referenced a fabulous article from Cookie mag. There are lots of reasons that we get in ruts--many of us have kids who are picky eaters, we work full time and can't imagine fitting in one more thing, husband's work late, or we just generally have a lot on our plates (no pun intended). But I've been re-awakened to how important this time is for our little family.

I found a fun weekly meal worksheet, complete with space to make your grocery list. Go to http://www.theprojectgirl.com/2009/01/19/menu-planning-form-free-download/.

I am energized and inspired. Share some of the recipes and ideas that work for you!

“Creating this ritual where you turn off the TV, ignore the phone and just spend quality time together is crucial to helping your children feel emotionally, spiritually and mentally balanced. We all can generate a list of reasons why we cannot possibly fit dinner with the family into our schedule. The time has come to say enough with the excuses and just do it. Trust me, it means more to your kids’ futures than you think. If I can find the time to have meals with my family, so can you. ”
Jamie Lee Curtis
And of course, for Grandma Lue and cousin M, a Gabby picture for your weekend--we played with make-up and curling irons this week!

9 comments:

emcghee said...

I agree--I love when we are all home for dinner together. Ben usually rolls his eyes at me if I ask him to turn the T.V. off if he's watching something, but he complies. (not a big deal really, he can just pause it!) My kids love playing a game called "hi, low." You go around and everyone tells their high point of the day and their low point.

I loved that picture of Gabby--simply gorgeous darling!

Grandma Lue said...

Who is that gorgeous girl? Is she a movie star? Is she the 2009 American Idol? Is she Princess Gabby? It must be! Oh, so beautiful! Thank you for posting a picture just for me and Mia. (Watch out Daddy, 'cause you have your work cut out for you!)

Grandma Lue said...

Oh, I forgot to comment on the dinner ritual...Family dinners are a must! A report I heard many years ago said that the one common factor in Rhodes Scholars was that their families not only ate dinner together, but actually talked to each other at the dinner table every night. That's what drove our family to eat frozen dinner rolls---no, to make time for the nightly dinner/discussion ritual. (So, Megan, your husband was raised that way.)

Jami said...

We are big fans of the family dinner here too! We actually manage almost 6 days a week. I love hearing how everyone's day went and just taking some time to enjoy nothing but us. It sounds like some great reminders!

We love the picture of Gabby and her darling curls! Thanks for the shout out.

Kelli Despain said...

Love the project girl site, she is getting added to my favorites straight away!

Carrie said...

Gabby looks FABULOUS! Vavavoom!!! And I'm all for the family dinner....we used to have them with everyone except William so hurrah for a new job where he can finally be home and join us!

Chelsea Nicole said...

She is getting so darn cute!! Your comment on my post made me laugh because it reminded me of my wedding. My email address is...
Jon06036@byui.edu

laura kate said...

Okay, I'm inspired, and will actually cook dinner tonight. Sign me up for a Megan makeover (gabby looks fabulous!) Hawaii was great, traveling with kids, not the most relaxing vacation but definately happy memories made. Counting down for the next girl trip.

Jenny Slingerland said...

Okay I'm a inspired! Baby steps though. Maybe I'll start with two planned meals for the week and go from there. Being unprepared and only eating mac n' cheese is like smoking, I can't stop cold turkey.