Monday, November 24, 2008

Self Talk

Today Gabby and I went for a bike ride (part of my post-election 'get off my arse' program!). When the slope of the road turned slightly uphill, Gabby started to struggle. My confident daughter started saying out loud to herself, "Gabby you can do it, Gabby you can do it!" Over and over she repeated the phrase and she made it up the road.



At first I chuckled and thought I have to write that one down because it was just too entertaining listening to her coach herself up the hill, but the more I pondered the experience the more profound her positive self talk became. This might be too "deep thoughts" for a Monday, but I wonder when do we start telling ourselves we can't do something. When do we give up on dreams because we tell ourselves we can't achieve them. Working in the LDS church's Young Women's program and seeing first hand some of the negative images and negative self talk they engage in, I have come to believe that the best gift I can give them as a leader is the example of confidence--the type of confidence that comes from making good choices.

I think I tend to live a lot my life wandering around in my brain and I needed a good Monday morning reminder to tell myself I can do it--whatever the "it" might be.

**In the interest of full disclosure, Gabby had a complete and utter meltdown on that same bike ride about 15 minutes later...leaving the "Gabby you can do it" attitude nowhere to be found. Such is life!

3 comments:

kendal said...

That's a hilarious story! She cracks me up. I think I will start saying that to myself every morning during finals...

Carrie said...

I say the same thing to myself as I'm riding up a hill, so good going Gabby! And I generally have a meltdown later, as well. What a great story/lesson for us all.

Jamie Poort said...

Megan! Thank you so much for leaving a comment on our blog. It was so good hearing from you. I can't believe how big/old Gabby is. She is so cute. And OPRAH??? I am SO JEALOUS! It looks like it was so much fun. Now that I know where you are, I am an official stalker of your blog!