Saturday, September 13, 2008

What I Learned on My Summer Vacation

The summer months are officially over, although in Las Vegas, the temperature still hovers in those summer 100s. I'm in a reflective mood and thought I would jot down some of the lessons I've learned this summer in the hopes that I carry them with me throughout the rest of my year.

#1 It is always good to make new friends. Gabby is particularly good at doing this. Because of my work schedule, we often go solo to things. But we are never lonely for long. Recently, at a local water park, Gabby met another Gabby and her twin sister. Upon leaving the girls gave each other big hugs as if they had known each other for years. When Jesus talked about becoming as little children, I think this is part of what he had in mind.

#2 Old friends are the best! Time seems to fly faster the older you get. I so appreciate my "old" friends who know me--flaws and all--and still want to hang out with me. Photo: Stephanie, Lindsey and myself enjoying a summer night. We dearly missed Museum Mama at this somewhat spontaneous gathering prompted by Steph's 'drive-by' on her way to Utah.

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

#3 Live for today. Tragedy filled the heavy summer air as we grieved for dear friends who lost loved ones. For a time, my heart was heavy and it seemed that death's fingerprints were everywhere. Even as I searched for solace, President Monson's August message, I thought at first glance, was about death. But the more I pondered his message, the more it became about living. Monson exhorts us to live for today by stating that "If we live only for tomorrow, we’ll eventually have a lot of empty yesterdays." He also challenges us to ask ourselves the question from the hymn "Have I Done any Good in the World Today?"

#4 Slow Down. #3 has forced to re-evaluate, slow down and realize that as Gandhi so perfectly puts, "There is more to life than increasing it's speed." This quote is our new family motto.

#5 Jump in the water's great! Again, being taught by my 3 year old to enjoy the spontaneous moments that make life great. Much of my summer was filled with endless cannonballs and underwater tea parties. I end the summer with a tinge of green hair, a stretched out swimsuit, and few more laugh lines and I wouldn't have it any other way. Here's to summer!




5 comments:

Kelly said...

Megan this post made me cry. You are so reflective and I love hearing your thoughts and getting in your mind. What wonderful lessons to take from a summer, especially the smile lines-- I loved that. What a lucky girl Gabby is to have you. I love her and am excited to see you guys tomorrow night!

Carrie said...

I've read and reread your post and I still feel that I have no words except it's beautiful. And, on a personal note, as I read I couldn't help but feel gratitude for your understanding that this summer loss has literally left me with almost no words. But thanks for being one of the oldest and best friends I have. I actually will pick up that phone and be able to talk one day.

Maybe I just need to visit Las Vegas!

Jessica said...

Thanks for those lessons learned...it's nice to be reminded what we should really be living like. I hope you enjoyed your time in CA and it was fun to see you and your little Gabby.

JonesFamilyBlog said...

I especially love #4. I always need a reminder to slow down. (And great picture of Gabby!)

Grandma Lue said...

Very insightful, Meg; you are your mother's daughter. I, too, could benefit from some reflective moments and better appreciation for my blessings.