Monday, July 21, 2008

Will the Real Mother Jones Please Stand Up?


I became a Mother Jones by marriage, so I thought I would take a minute to post the about real mother jones. As many of my dear readers know (all 10 of you), I definitely have an opinion about most things and consider myself a bit of an old school feminist (think Susan B. Anthony type). It should not surprise you that Mother Jones, my blog's namesake, is one of the original feminists.


Mary Harris Jones, aka Mother Jones, will be celebrating her 171st birthday on August 1st, although she was known to lie about her age. She often gave her birth year as a decade older because she felt like an older age would lend more weight to her opinion. Living in a culture obsessed with youth I think...How fabulous is that? Age=Wisdom?


Mother Jones is best known as a labor organizer who worked tirelessly for economic justice. While her opponents called her the “most dangerous woman in America,” fellow organizer Elizabeth Gurley Flynn called Jones “the greatest woman agitator of our times.” Jones combined dynamic speaking skills and radical organizing methods to mobilize thousands of laborers and working-class families. She said of herself, “I’m not a humanitarian, I’m a hell-raiser.” A woman after my own heart!


The publication that bears her name states that "the nickname 'Mother' Jones was no mere rhetorical device. At the core of her beliefs was the idea that justice for working people depended on strong families, and strong families required decent working conditions." AMEN! (I am thinking about current health care, energy, mortgage crises today)
If you want to learn more about her hell raising efforts go to http://www.motherjones.com/news/special_reports/2001/05/motherjones_gorn.html.
In true post feminist fashion, I am off to do my Monday chore--laundry!

2 comments:

Jami said...

I knew my birthday was an awesome day;) What a great person to share it with!

Carrie said...

I have also been a true feminist today doing my laundry...finally in decent working conditions (Mother Jones would be so happy) because I just got a new dryer that actually works. What a progressive woman I am!